Sunday 10 March 2013

MY HAIR REGIMEN




Hello lovelies!

I'm going to keep this post as short and precise as possible (its supposed to be a reply to a comment in my last style post) - it's about my hair and the many things I do/ have done it to achieve it's present state.

I'm naturally not who you could categorize as hairy, I'm very far from that. I don't not have a long mane of hair, but I do have a hand full of it. It hasn't always been this way, my hair has always been thin and annoying; couldn't do the styles I wanted. All this changed when I went for my masters; I woke up one day and discovered my hair had gained lots of volume and strength, of course I was excited.

There and then in front of the mirror in my room, I decided to aid the growth by paying more attention to my hair. First place I went to for inspiration was of course Youtube, and boy, did I get a lot of videos and treatments and stories about what worked and didn't, myths and truths. That was when I had the real dilemma - which products to use, how often to use them, and in what quantity.

Salvation came when I went to this Jamaican salon some blocks from my place. The first thing she did was to chop off most of my hair, she said it was weak and tired :( . I wasn't too happy cos my hair was just gaining its strength, how dare she chop it all off? But it was all for a good cause, as she conditioned my hair with some concoction she refused to tell me, but which I finally got to know after several visits.



Before I go further, let me point out that this is my personal experience, which I may not guarantee would work for everyone. OK, so the secret portion my hair stylist used/ uses for my hair is:

  • Egg
  • Castor oil
  • Shea butter
  • Honey
All these ingredients mixed together into a paste (the smell isn't too nice, I must warn) were what she would lap into my hair, cover with a plastic cap and I would sit in the drier for about 30 mins. After about two visits, my hair had bounce, shine, and all the pizzazz you could think of.


Fast forward to Naija, and the weather and all, my hair isn't as lovely as it used to be, but I still do my best to keep it conditioned. For one, its lost its bounce, its always looking too limp, I'm guessing cos of the heat. 

My current hair, although it looks like dreads or curls or whatever, it is actually curls; I didn't cut my hair. Just rolled it so it looks really short, I think its appropriate for the weather. Personally I can't carry weaves for  more than 2 weeks, but with this heat, I can't guarantee carrying it for that long, hence my curls.

I am currently toying with the idea of going natural, but don't think I have the patience to pull through; its such hard work. So in the mean time, I will continue experimenting until I finally get to where I am going ( don't think I'll ever get there though, cos I don't know where. Think I'm addicted to changing hair styles).





Have a great week ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Sewa, I love your candid opinion. Natural hair is hard work, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Drop your comments, love to know what you think :)